Cache::Memcached::Lock

Larry Leszczynski larryl at emailplus.org
Mon Sep 26 17:31:16 PDT 2005

Hi Earl -

> > I'm sure memcached would be fast at this, but I wonder if it's a good
> > idea to store locks in a cache.  Maybe a simple MySQL-based approach
> > would be safer.
> >
> > - Perrin
>
> Yeah, I can buy that.  I can also buy that memcached on our system has
> been live for nearly six months, has yet to have a problem, has
> 41,173,166 things currently cached across three boxes, and has handled
> over 120 requests per second per box during that time.  So yeah, it is a
> simple cache thing, but I don't think I would have much of a problem
> relying on it.

I hope I don't mis-speak on behalf of Perrin, but I got the impression
that his point was that it's not an issue of whether memcache was
reliable/fast enough, but rather that it would be A Bad Thing if your lock
item got flushed or expired from the cache before the lock had really been
released...

Larry