GNU malloc vs. slab alloc

Evan Martin martine at danga.com
Fri Apr 28 05:11:55 UTC 2006

On 4/28/06, Torsten Foertsch <torsten.foertsch at gmx.net> wrote:
> what is the best way to submit patches to memcached and get them accepted?
>
> I have a patch for revision 260 ready that implements:

In general for free software projects, separate patches for separate
features is always desirable.  If you submitted them separately to the
list, each one could spawn a thread discussing whether it's useful for
the main distribution.  Even if they're not integrated, they may be
useful for others...

> Situations when GNU malloc isn't bad at all

Not exactly related, but it'd be interesting to see whether you get a
benefit out of using tcmalloc:
http://goog-perftools.sourceforge.net/doc/tcmalloc.html
It's designed especially for running large, memory-intensive servers,
with performance (space/cpu) as a primary concern.  (For example, part
of the tradeoff it makes is that it can allocate/manage small objects
more efficiently but has a constant requirement of 6mb of memory.)