Patch: Dynamic hashtable sizing

Brad Fitzpatrick brad at danga.com
Mon Aug 21 04:03:38 UTC 2006

Nice.

Regarding the 'gotcha', though:  How hard would an incremental copy be,
copying only 'n' buckets per event loop?  You'd have to have a
'currently_at' position kept, and any changes made before that point while
you're still copying would need to be mirrored in the still-growing-slowly
larger copy.  Then when you're all the way caught up, remove the old one,
and zero out the 'currently_at' position, indicating there's no copy in
progress.

Or, even simpler:  no auto-resizing and just make the initial hashtable
size a function of the max memory parameter.  A lot of data structures in
the Linux kernel work like that.

I'm just afraid this gotcha would result in unnecessary pain on the
mailing list.  And if people are doing aggressive monitoring, alerts
going off, and clients with small timeouts, rehashing unnecessarily.
Without knowing their CPU/memory speed, we can't even reliably say what
the delay would be.

So I'd like to go with either an incremental or dynamically-tuned-at-init
approach.  Preference?