Memcached slower than Caching in files?

Silvan Mühlemann | tilllate AG silvan.muehlemann at tilllate.com
Sun Dec 3 20:50:03 UTC 2006

Hi

A few weeks ago I have measured the performance of memcached and
compared it to the caching in files (see
http://lists.danga.com/pipermail/memcached/2006-October/002987.html).

The test setup was not really appropriate for the following reasons
(thanks to Daniel and Jean-Francois for the hints):

- I did not use file locking
- I did not test it in a multi-threaded environment (e.g. through the
web server)

I have now rewritten the tests and test it with file locking (by using
Cache_Lite) and with Apachebench (ab2).

The results are now much more satisfying:

Parameters:
* Number of different Items         200
* Request time in case of a miss      1 s
* Item Size                       10000 bytes
* Number of concurrent ab2 threads   10
* Number of requests               4000

Results:
* No Caching                     18 Requests/s
* Cache_Lite on local Disk       99 Requests/s
* Cache_Lite on NFS Disk         18 Requests/s
* Memcache on remote Server     102 Requests/s

So I guess it's worth switching from Cache_Lite to memcached in our
clustered environment!

Silvan
http://techblog.tilllate.com