PECL memcache extension

Don MacAskill don at smugmug.com
Sat Feb 4 19:07:24 UTC 2006

Sounds like we're on the same page as far as understanding the problem.
  And I'd definitely like a flag to be able to automatically flush_all()
the server which just re-joined the cluster (or even no option, though I
might be missing a scenario where you wouldn't want this).

But rather than having to do a flush_all() on every member of the
cluster when #2 happens, I'd much rather see something like a php.ini
parameter that lets me tell memcache not to rebalance the cluster when
one fails:

memcache.rebalance = false

I have enough memcache servers that a failure of one of them doesn't
dramatically affect performance.  But having stale data, or having to
flush_all() every server would be a Big Deal.

I suppose I could just write a wrapper for memcache in PHP that handles
failure scenarios and not use memcache:addServer() at all if this
doesn't sound feasible.

Also, I'd love to get a little insight into exactly what happens when a
failure occurs.  What causes memcache to consider a server to be a
failure?  Is it only if a socket connect fails?  Or does a failure of
some of the commands (delete, for example) also cause a server to be
marked as failed?

And finally, I see that there's a retry timer.  Is that global for the
entire Apache process?  Or just a thread/fork?  If I set it to be 60
seconds or something, does that mean there will only be a single retry
every 60 seconds for the entire physical server running Apache?  Or are
all the threads/forks going to retry every 60 seconds?  I want to make
sure we're not retrying so frequently that we're causing it to flap.

A little bit better documentation in this regard would help, but perhaps
providing some mechanism where the application can mark a server in the
cluster as failed at will would be nice, too.  And is there any way to
notify (via php's error log, or firing a function or something) me when
a server fails?

Thanks,

Don