Announcing Java Memcached Server

Jehiah Czebotar jehiah at gmail.com
Thu Jan 5 06:01:03 UTC 2006

yes you read that right. Java Memcached Server

Questions get asked on this list regularly for a memcached server that
runs on windows. I'm happy to announce a beta port of the memcached
server to Java. All (see note below) the memcached functions work, and
it can be used as a drop in replacement for the linux C version.

That said, I want your help testing it out. (specifically heavy load testing)
If you are interested please test away and let me know how it
works.

http://jehiah.com/projects/memcached/

Is it quick enough? At this point - without even any performance
tuning it performs at between a quarter and half the speed of the C version.

Where the C version does 40k sets in 4 seconds,
the Java version does it in 14 seconds.
Where the C version does 40k gets in 3 seconds,
the Java version does it in 6 seconds.

(on windows the gets/sets in java seem to be equal, but I can't
compare that apples for apples to a linux version. The numbers above
are running on linux on the same box.)

Notes:
1. the time parameter to the flush command is not implemented (some
clients don't even implement it)
2. You can't specify a max size in Mb right now, it must be in # elements.

Thanks for your interest
Jehiah at gmail.com
http://jehiah.com/