CPU Load, kernel, and hardware questions

Maxim Mass smsmaxster at gmail.com
Sun Jan 8 20:10:30 UTC 2006

First of all, big thanks to everyone contributing to this project -- this is
a truly cool idea and it's helping our site performance a hell of a lot.

I'm currently running 10 3ghz Xeon machines with -- temporarily -- a gig of
ram each on the 2.4 kernel. My concern is that I'm seeing an average of
about 40% system cpu usage with only 2% usermode usage. Looking at the
stats, each box is being hit at roughly 1100 get/set requests a second and
reading about 71kb/s while writing 361kb/s.  Would moving to 2.6 reduce cpu
load? Turning off hyperthreading?

What kind of hardware are you guys running? We're looking to move to 64 bit
AMD systems.. Should we consider dual cpu or will it not improve access time
significantly? Whats the sweet spot for amount of RAM per box?

Any thoughts or links to performance studies would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance!

Max