Is memcached really faster than MySQL on very simple query?

Perrin Harkins perrin at elem.com
Thu Jul 13 14:56:35 UTC 2006

howard chen wrote:
> seems MySQL is quite efficient in handling simple query?

 From Perl, MySQL used to be about twice as fast as Memcached on simple
queries.  Then Brad tweaked the client code a bit, and it's about on par
now, as you saw in your test.  I suspect this is still mostly because of
the client code -- the server is probably doing less than MySQL, so it
should be faster, but DBI/BDB::mysql are written in C and
Cache::Memcached is not.  If that long-rumored XS client ever comes out,
I expect it will be faster than MySQL every time.

- Perrin