php sessions and memcache

Richard Thomas lists at cyberlot.net
Tue Jul 18 12:16:32 UTC 2006

Its the same problem regardless

With file based backends file locking to prevent corruption, not "Two
processes fight for CPU time" as mentioned in that article.

In a normal PHP session there is a write EVERY page load.. Only 1
process can write to a file at a time so the other process gets held up
till the first process is done.

This is the same with SQL, if 2 processes try to update a table at the
same time, MySQL does table level locking so the second process has to
wait for the first process to finish and the table lock to end.

You can avoid that by

1. Reducing the amount of times your updates take IE not trying to
update all the session data when the session hasn't changed

2. Not doing any updates if there not needed.

Richard Thomas - CEO
Cyberlot Technologies Group Inc.
507.398.4124 - Voice