Why not let the fs handle this ??

Don MacAskill don at smugmug.com
Wed Jun 7 18:26:22 UTC 2006

Jon Drukman wrote:

> so removing a downed box from the memcache server pool list promptly is
> essential - which means all keys get reshuffled.

Actually, what you want to do is keep the server in the pool, but flag
is as down, so keys don't get reshuffled but clients also don't bother
to connect.  Hits to it just automatically fail and revert to non-cached
hits.

As for the timeout, most languages should let you specify socket
timeouts and the like.  I'd shudder to think of using anything longer
than 1 second.

Don