first time user with out of memory question

Janning Vygen vygen at planwerk6.de
Mon Jun 12 07:48:30 UTC 2006

Am Sonntag, 11. Juni 2006 15:24 schrieb Ivan Krstic:
> Janning Vygen wrote:
> > and stats slab produced "out of memory" message, too. At this time it was
> > impossible for many users to login to our web application.
>
> If memcached failure means your users can't log in, then you're using it
> incorrectly.

Why? You could say same thing about disks: If disk failures mean your users
cant login, then you're using disk incorrectly.

session data dont needs to be saved to disk, they just needs to be store and
retrieved quickly and more important to me: distributed for a bunch of
webservers. before i used a postgresql instance to save session data but it
turns out to become a bottleneck by itself (not because of postgresql of
course but an rdbms is overkill to session data imho)

> > but i am concerned about it. As i have 3,5 GB dedicated to memached (-m
> > 3584) it should not run out of memory.
>
> I recommend compiling a new binary from the Facebook branch; it contains
> a bunch of patches that generally make memcached saner.

I don't like installing new version all the time before i didn't understand
the problem and i like using debian stable software as it is updated if
security concerns exists.

kind regards,
janning

--