first time user with out of memory question

Paul T pault12345 at yahoo.com
Mon Jun 12 21:52:03 UTC 2006

19K hps certainly is "heavy pressure". In our current
setup we are not (yet) getting close to those numbers
with memcached. But then again - in our setup
memcached (latest stock memcached, built and started
with defaults) got crazy after 3 weeks.

However.

19K hps of reads *does*not* subsitute for a
stress-test consisting of 10K hps reads mixed with 5K
hps of writes (for example). In async application
under pressure just changing pconnect to connect can
make a (critical) difference - changing the memory
access patterns.

Basically that was the only point I was trying to make
and it seems that we agreed on it several emails ago,
so I am sorry for being redundant.

Rgds.Paul.

BTW - the note that you made about USE_SYSTEM_ALLOC is
not 100% correct, because - from the code - the
USE_SYSTEM_ALLOC only affects part of the slabs system
(the 'heap' part, which is important part but it is
still - a part).

It is not actually that easy to entirely eliminate
slabs from memcached codebase.

Unfortunately, digging deeper will open another can of
worms. Linux is open source too - it envolves. And
frarmentation issues are with us since the days of
RT-11, so there is a good chance that memcached is
already fighting with the ghosts - in some setups.

Thanks for the numbers.