Memcached as a Sessions Store (etc)

Brian Moon brianm at dealnews.com
Wed Jun 28 21:14:02 UTC 2006

> Sure. MySQL was plenty capable of keeping up with the inserts and
> selects done to deal with sessions. Our problem was actually with
> clearing out old sessions. The script to delete old sessions, despite
> being fairly sophisticated in its attempts to not overload the sessions
> database, still affected it.
>
> We surmise that Memcached will remove expired sessions with less
> overhead than MySQL.

Ah, switching our session table to InnoDB solved this problem for us.
You guys probably have more sessions in your table than us though.

In fact, we have switched almost all our of tables to InnoDB.  The only
ones left either are for logging, need to use some feature of MyISAM or
are unimportant.

--

Brian Moon