PHP vs. Python vs. Perl

Paul T pault12345 at yahoo.com
Thu Jun 29 00:39:16 UTC 2006

--- Brian Moon <brianm at dealnews.com> wrote:

> > The numbers are *way* off. Factor of 5-10 for an
> > application that just sends 212K back and forth
> over
> > the network?
>
> I was as surprised as you are.  That is one reason I
> posted this here.

 I am not surprised, actually. In my email I
questioned your benchmark and explained why I think it
is questionable.

> > Are the PHP client gzipping by default, but Perl
> and Python's do not? For 212K files - that would
> explain
> > it.
>
> They are all default installs.  I did nothing
> special on any of them.

 PECL?

 from http://pecl.php.net/package/memcache ?

 grep compression *

 php_memcache.h:#define MMC_DEFAULT_SAVINGS 0.2
  /* minimum 20% savings for compression to be used */

 It is gzipping, man.

> Again, its all default stuff.  You can download the
> code and have a look  for yourself.

 Oh, humanity.

> Admittedly, I am a PHP guy.  So, if someone wants to
> recommend a better
> test for the other clients to prove me wrong, I
> welcome it.

 I aready told you:

 1. First - change the size of the file from 212K to
10K and see what happens.

 2. Second - look inside the clients and see if PHP
gzips and others don't.

 I run grep for you on a PHP client code (above),  I
guess you can now run grep on Perl / Python clients by
yourself, no?

Rgds.Paul.