Memcached as a Sessions Store (etc)

Janning Vygen vygen at planwerk6.de
Thu Jun 29 07:22:52 UTC 2006

Am Mittwoch, 28. Juni 2006 22:30 schrieb timeless:
> What prompted the Memcached as sessions store:

We used memcached as as session storage but it fails (without facebook patch,
just debian stable package)

In my understanding there are two points:

1. You will never have a garanteed session time because older session data is
pushed out of memory if new data comes in and no expired slab is available.
Of course you can get around with more memory, but it doesn't make sense in
my opinion to run mor (expensive) memory for session data which is quite old
(say 40 minutes of a 60 minutes expiration time). Usually this data is not
needed anymore.

2. If your session data varies in size and you have all slabs allocated,
memcached will report "out of memory" error (without facebook patch) and your
user can't login. This happens to us after a few days running memcached
without problems.

See for further discussion:
http://lists.danga.com/pipermail/memcached/2006-June/002340.html
http://lists.danga.com/pipermail/memcached/2006-June/002369.html

We now use sharedance. We are very happy with it. It runs on our dedicated
session server with a higher load than memcached because of IO traffic but
runs without problems.

kind regards
Janning

--