PHP vs. Python vs. Perl

Ask Bjørn Hansen ask at develooper.com
Thu Jun 29 07:43:17 UTC 2006

On Jun 28, 2006, at 12:29, Brian Moon wrote:

> I recently found something that surprised me when trying different
> languages out for an upcoming project.  I decided to publish my
> work.  I would appreciate any comments about my findings.
>
> http://dealnews.com/developers/memcached.html

Hi Brian,

Did you test on OS X?

I tried replicating your results and on (intel) OS X the
Cache::Memcached client didn't get the responses from the server some
of the time.  In your test module that made it refetch it via http
(slow!) ~30-40% of the time.

I didn't look very closely, but it seems like there's something wrong
with either memcached (as installed by the ports system) or
Cache::Memcached on OS X.   (If I increased the timeouts in
Cache::Memcached it got the response back, but was of course still
insanely slow).

On $random_linux_system a simple single threaded test gave me ~270
gets per second for the 212kb data block (before compression) and
~3500 gets per second for a 50 byte data block.

   - ask

--
http://www.askbjoernhansen.com/