OT using crc32 as key for objects

Daniel Beckham dbeckham-memcached at dealnews.com
Fri Oct 6 14:18:47 UTC 2006

Why do you want to avoid using a md5 or sha1 hash?   Those are the best
tools for this job and the quickest way to accomplish your goal.  If
speed is a concern, then your question should be can md5 or sha1 perform
at the speed your application is going to need it to perform at.  And
the best way for you to answer that is to performance test your code.

I think the overkill might be the time you are putting into coming up
with a solution that already has had an answer for decades.

-Daniel