IDEA: Hierarchy of caches for high performance AND high capacity.

Ask Bjørn Hansen ask at develooper.com
Tue Oct 31 23:43:07 UTC 2006

On Oct 31, 2006, at 15:08, Kevin Burton wrote:

> MySQL doesn't scale ;)

I think you mean "vertical scaling sucks".  MySQL can be used
horizontally, as you know.  :-)   (sometimes replication, sometimes
partitioning, sometimes a combination).

> Especially replication.........

I meant using MySQL as a "cache store" -- you don't want to replicate
that.

MySQL (non-cluster[1]) can work beautifully as a substitute for
memcached when you have more data to store than you have memory - and
you can afford waiting for disks.

  - ask

[1] I haven't tried using cluster as a cache; but I suppose it'd work
nicely too with the disk storage stuff in 5.1.

--
http://askask.com/  - http://develooper.com/