Memcached Vs Local LRU Cache

anand anand at semanticvoid.com
Tue Sep 26 09:22:09 UTC 2006

Hi,

I have been using an inbuilt LRU cache in one of my programs. I needed this
cache to be distributed and hence thought of opting for Memcached. I wrote a
sample program to compare the two and this is what I came up with:

LRU: 10,000 reads averages to about 16 ms that is 0.0016 ms per read
Memcached: 10,000 reads averages to about 2837 ms that is 0.28 ms per read

Hence a few questions here:
Q. Is Memcached only comparable to a database and hence to be used only to
save db calls?
Q. Other than a distributed cache, what other advantages do I get in
comparison to an inbuilt cache?

cheers
Anand.