java client locking issue

Steven Grimm sgrimm at facebook.com
Wed Apr 4 22:35:34 UTC 2007

Dustin Sallings wrote:
> A single connection with a single thread should give you the
> performance you need (since that's all that's on the server-side).  I
> could conceivably run more than one connection per server if there's a
> bottleneck in the wire protocol.

If you're connecting to a remote host, network round-trips will dominate
the response time. You will definitely see better throughput with
multiple connections, especially if you're requesting small objects.
Even on the local host you might see a marginal benefit.

Also, there is a multithreaded version of memcached (in Subversion only
for now -- see the "multithreaded" branch -- though at some point I hope
it will become the main version of the code.) We are successfully using
it on a network of 4-core memcached hosts.

-Steve