ketama - a consistent hashing algo for memcache clients

Christian Muehlhaeuser muesli at gmail.com
Wed Apr 11 05:10:04 UTC 2007

On 4/11/07, Timo Ewalds <timo at tzc.com> wrote:
> This is true, but many people have very long expiry times. We frequently
> have expiry times in the several week range, and I expect many people
> have it set to indefinite.

hey timo!

yes indeed, this scenario would be imaginable. one could solve it with
some tighter integration between ketama and memcached, though.
(invalidate the key when re-assigning a server to a it)

the other point of view: if you set those expiry times to several
weeks in first place, then i would assume that you could live with the
"old values" from the wrong server in case of a network hiccup, as
well.

whatsoever, one to keep in mind, for the faq and the todo-list :-)

cheers,
muesli