ketama - a consistent hashing algo for memcache clients

Steven Grimm sgrimm at facebook.com
Wed Apr 11 06:13:11 UTC 2007

Only if you remove a server from the list when it's down. If you leave
it in there and live with the cache misses (i.e., the same approach you
take when you don't rehash keys in the non-consistent-hashing memcached
client) then that's not an issue; you'll only move keys around when you
administratively add / remove servers. And if you do a flush_all on a
machine before you add it, there will be no stale data to worry about.

-Steve

tbone wrote:
> Which could happen if the issue was intermittent (network hiccup,
> semi-bad network cable, or even capped bandwidth on the memcached
> machine [which I have seen happen])
>
> Ian Holsman wrote:
>>
>> the old entry would only exist as long as your expiry time.
>>
>> so steps 3-5 would have to occur in your expiry window for this to
>> take effect.
>>

>> regards
>> Ian
>>
>> On 11/04/2007, at 2:18 PM, Timo Ewalds wrote:
>>
>>> I'd like to point out that the problem of stale cache entries exists
>>> if you add AND remove servers without flushing all the data. Here's
>>> the sequence that would cause it:
>>>
>>> 1. Start a bunch of servers
>>> 2. Run for a while
>>> 3. Add 1 server