another newbie ..

Marcus Bointon marcus at synchromedia.co.uk
Wed Apr 11 08:49:13 UTC 2007

On 11 Apr 2007, at 02:21, Özgür Köy wrote:

> 1. get status method, does that work accurate, i mean can i use
> that info to load balance the mc'd servers? ( if 1st is full, try
> the 2.)

I don't know about getting status to do this, but you should simply
set the weights for each server appropriately and let MC deal with
it. Don't give yourself unnecessary headaches.

> 2. i ll let the application( all codes and ..) work on some
> seperate server(s). but, i just thought that the servers running
> only app( php actually) may run their own memcached daemon(just
> with some 256mb like ram setting). just to help the mc'd network.
> sure i ll monitor but, do you think it may slow down the
> application  a lot ?

Depends on your app, but on mine I got big performance improvements
with a local MC instance (though read on), though my app is mostly
disk and DB constrained, so no surprise there.

> 3. i read  some about the facebook patched version, me confused, i
> must say :) which is the most accurate one for some application
> like i said..? something like imeem.com 's

"Facebook patched" version is really what became mc 1.2. Either use
the release version or take a look at what's in svn - patches seem to
get taken up pretty quickly, so there's not been much forking of note.

> 4. zend has some caching module as well  i recall. are these 2 in
> some same path? if so , any benchmark info?

Far as I'm aware, you're talking about Zend optimisation suite. This
is focused on local opcode caching and also provides a user cache for
arbitrary data (see also APC). Because it's an in-process cache, it's
way faster than mc, but otoh, it's not distributed, so is not much
use for a cluster.

Marcus
--
Marcus Bointon
UK resellers of info at hand CRM solutions