OFF TOPIC: Message Queue Server Recommendations

Paul Dlug paul.dlug at gmail.com
Wed Apr 11 14:38:09 UTC 2007

On 4/10/07, Paul G <paul-lists at perforge.com> wrote:

> Erik Osterman wrote:
> > I was hoping that maybe some of you using Memcache would also be using
> > some sort of open source message queue server. Something along the
> > lines of MSMQ, but doesn't need to be as elaborate. I can't seem to
> > find any for Linux other than SAFMQ, but I dread Java applications
> > (sorry, don't mean to poke at any of you Java developers).
>
> i haven't decided which one to use yet for the current project i'm working
> on, but here are some options for ya:
>
>     * Apache MQ (closest to what MSMQ does) - java, seems to be fairly
> mature and in use
>     * AMQP standard based -
>         * OpenAMQ - java, fairly new, incomplete
>         * RabbitMQ - erlang (!), fairly new but seems already pretty
> complete
>     * ICE (icecast) - (zeroc.com) c++, ice itself is 'corba done right
> (according to them), they've got a message queue app built on top of it
>
> please not ehtat although there are others like STOMP, we have a
> requirement
> for high performance so haven't looked at any of the simpler stuff.
>
> i'd be very much interested i hearing what others have used and what their
> actual experience has been, whether with one of the above or something
> else.

I just started evaluating RabbitMQ, seems like a great solution so far, I
vastly prefer it to the heavier java implementations. My problem with all
the AMQP solutions is the lack of a perl client (though the Apache Qpid
project has a ruby one). Anyone using perl/AMQP and have a client (or
interested in collaborating to develop one)?

--Paul