best way to upgrade

Ask Bjørn Hansen ask at develooper.com
Wed Apr 11 21:42:54 UTC 2007

On Apr 11, 2007, at 2:05 PM, rkmr.em at gmail.com wrote:

> i would like to always have the latest memcached development
> version/svn version running. right now i recompile memcache, kill
> memcache server and launch it again. i lose all the cache. i just
> have one server.. is there anyway for me not to lose the cache?

Unless you are using memcached as a database (which it's not made to
do), then your concern is probably to not lose the full cache at
once.   If that's the case, you can run multiple memcached instances
using part of the memory each on different ports on the same system -
say 4 instances with 256MB memory each rather than one with 1GB.

Then you can upgrade one at a time and give your cache a chance to
get populated again before "losing" the next segment/partition.

    - ask