memcache dump and load

Steven Grimm sgrimm at facebook.com
Thu Apr 12 22:32:33 UTC 2007

"Smaller" is the key there -- "stats cachedump" will dump a *portion* of
the cache, or rather will dump up to a maximum amount of data. If your
cache is small you'll likely get the whole thing, but if you have a
multi-gigabyte cache you'll get a tiny fraction of the total.

Also (though this is perhaps not an issue in the "I'm about to upgrade"
case) keep in mind that it locks the whole cache while it runs. No other
client requests will be processed while the server is composing its
response, which can take a while.

-Steve