New user questions

Cal Heldenbrand cal at fbsdata.com
Fri Apr 13 16:02:57 UTC 2007

Oh, yes I think I misread that...  however, it's a little bit of both.
We're still playing around with a few ideas, but in a scalable reality I'm
thinking of a batch of around 5,000 variables.  It should be speedy enough
to do that iteratively for each variable, but one request would be pretty
handy too.

The particular usage for this is for an "infinite search results" page.  It
displays 50 or so results, and scrolling towards the bottom of the page does
some magic AJAX'ey stuff to expand the bottom, then chop off the top of the
page.  Running this stuff directly off our DB2 servers results in an
annoying lag time, and memcache would be perfect for this.  This requires
some preemptive loading to grab a lot of ID strings, then do some more
processing in the background to be ready for the event of loading the next
set of results.

This is also just one area that is potentially going to be modified for
memcache, there are a lot of other scenarios to think about, and we're just
in the feasibility stage at the moment.  The more flexible the API /
transactions, the easier it would be to integrate to several aspects of our
software.

Thanks for the help!

--Cal

--