Question

Jason Edgecombe jason at rampaginggeek.com
Sat Apr 28 14:22:36 UTC 2007

Brad Fitzpatrick wrote:
> Kyle,
>
> This is actually a great question for the list.  I don't know any
> technical details about MediaTemple's grid architecture, other than what's
> on their marketing pages (which isn't too technical).
>
> Anybody know more about MediaTemple and what it'd take for them to let
> users run memcached?
>
> - Brad
>

> On Fri, 27 Apr 2007, Kyle Brady wrote:
>

>> Hi,
>>
>> Sorry to bother you, but I have a question not related to debugging or using
>> memcached, and so that's why I thought I'd email the 'source'.
>>
>> I'm currently using hosting from MediaTemple.net, and it's what they call a
>> 'grid-server'...basically it's a grid-computing configuration designed for
>> server use.
>>
>> I contacted them about whether memcached was installed, and their answer was
>> no.  I asked if they could install it, and their answer was no, on the
>> grounds that memcached does not port / work on a "gridserver"
>> (grid-computing scheme).
>>
>> Is this true?  If so, is there any reason why it won't work?  I'm interested
>> because I'm building a web application that is heavily MySQL dependent, all
>> coded in PHP, and I need some sort of caching / optimization... and I know
>> that memcached is used on many many large and very popular web applications.
>>
>> Again, sorry for the direct email.
>>
>> Thanks, and I look forward to your reply.

OK. I'll bite,

I have no knowledge of MediaTemple besides what's on their web page. I
speculate that they are using some type of VM solution by their use of
the words "container" and virtual. Their dedicated container server says
you have root access while grid server services sounds like it does not.
My guess is that memcached's lack of a security facility is what is
preventing them from deploying it.  The higher cost of the dedicated
container suggests that possibly the grid-servers are a cluster of
shared hosting VM's or something else where normal Unix permissions or
user-based security restrictions are necessary for their operational model

I repeat. This is all guesswork and speculation on my part. I only know
what I've read on MediaTemple's web site. ;)

Sincerely,
Jason