Caching location based data?

John Kramlich me at johnkramlich.com
Thu Aug 2 18:31:10 UTC 2007

Josh,
> Out of curiosity, why aren't you using PostGIS?   It has special indexing
> types for the sort of query you mention.   While not as fast as memcached, if
> you can keep those indexes in memory they are < 50ms to return a lot of
> queries.
>
> At some point I'll also post a proof-of-concept for the db-based invalidation
> technique I'm using for one project which can get around the regex
> invalidation not being implemented yet.

Thanks for the suggestion.  I didn't know that PostGIS existed.  It
looks like there are similar features through a MySQL extension.  For
better or worse, our site is heavily reliant on MySQL as it's integrated
into the code almost everywhere.  I will take a look at both though.  We
are still new enough that switching databases isn't completely out of
the question.

The realm of location based data is new to me.   I've got a lot to learn.

- John