references in objects

Dustin Sallings dustin at spy.net
Fri Aug 10 09:03:51 UTC 2007

On Aug 10, 2007, at 1:13, Cam Bazz wrote:

> Consider the following scenario where I have an object:
>
> class Node {
>    int id;
>    Node next;
> }
>
> and I am storing these in memcached, such as:
>
> Node n;
> put( n.id, n);
>
> when I get(int) a node, can I trace the reference next, without
> requiring a map lookup?

	memcached is just a hash table.  For example:

	Map<Integer, Node> m=new HashMap<Integer, Node>();

	m.put(n.id, n);

	Can you get n.next in that example without doing another map lookup?

	Furthermore, it doesn't attempt to understand the data you're giving
it.  The value is a blob and memcached can not and should not
understand what it actually means.

--
Dustin Sallings