Hackathon!

dormando dormando at rydia.net
Wed Aug 22 09:46:00 UTC 2007

Hey,

Tossing up a summary of my thoughts (since I'm up babysitting backups
anyway). Thanks to Matt and Sun for hosting!

Some ... better preparation might've been good. I think memcached just
doesn't really have any "very active" developers, and a lot of
enthusiasts are at the hackathons. So they become a good source of
discussion but are hard to focus into direction/code. Discussion ain't
bad tho.

I wasn't in all of the discussions, but I have some takeaways:

- Stable fast C-backed libraries are a big deal. Most folks there
(seemed to?) agree that their biggest performance boost are related to
client fixes.

- pecl/memcached needs work, but no one's maintaining it? Are there
alternatives? The PHP client frontier is mired. I tried to look into an
error but found the same error message was copy/pasted in nine different
places in the code. Not worth it.

- binary protocol is fuzzy. Dustin has example client/servers, but is
anyone working on this? A lot of us had an "idea" that facebook is
writing code to this effect, but no one knew for sure.

- Sun's interested in making memcached scale across multicpu machines
more linearly, but this isn't a huge community interest yet. Not many
users run out of CPU on their clusters, and fewer run threaded mode at
all currently.

The biggest confusion here appears to be libevent and it not being very
thread friendly. Someone from Sun will ramble about more details? :)

- No discussion of consistent hashing algorithms. It slipped my mind :(
Not many client authors there anyway?

- Docs are good. Please add to the docs! Use case scenarios are very
useful to people.

Paul Linder actually comitted some code :) Dustin/Sean/etc wrote code.

Personally, I've cooked some ideas in my head that I might try out soon.

-Dormando