Memcached hashing algorithm?

Brian Moon brianm at dealnews.com
Sat Dec 1 06:37:32 UTC 2007

> What is the serverlist in fact?
>
> 1. The servers you specified?

ding!  that is it.

> Is it up to the implementation of client?

yes, but at this time, I think most of the clients all implement the
same algorithm.

> So is it true that even some of my servers are up, the client might
> choose to give up caching as it hit the down servers?

I can't speak to the Perl client, but I have had really no such issue
with the PHP client.  And as cheezy as it may sound, I have had no
problem with memcached going down.  If you constantly reboot servers or
something you might have issues I guess.  But, I would think that is
another problem entirely.

--

Brian Moon
Senior Developer