CancelledKeyException in SPY memcached-2.0-pre5

Andrew Miller amiller at like.com
Wed Dec 12 08:11:56 UTC 2007

> 	This appears to be a bug in java on Linux.  It's a bit difficult
> for me to reproduce myself, but here's the information that's been
> given to me so far:
>
> 	http://forum.java.sun.com/thread.jspa?forumID=535&threadID=5135128
>
> 	It may be the following bug:
>
> 	http://bugs.sun.com/bugdatabase/view_bug.do?bug_id=2147719
>
> 	It's claimed to be fixed in a later release, but I don't know in
> which version.
>
> 	Would you be willing to work with me on confirming the problem
> goes away for you?

Dustin,

Thanks for the reply and those links -- that sounds like the exact
problem we're having.  Upgrading a minor JVM revision (i.e. within
the 1.5 tree) is probably feasible for us, though it'd be a tough
sell for me to require all the apps to go to java6 to fix this
problem -- We've discussed it but it'd take a release/QA cycle or
two. Also a lot of our developers are on macs, where there is still
not a supported java6 implementation.  Obviously that doesn't prevent
us from running java6 in production but I'd rather keep the 'It
worked on MY machine, it must be the JVM' chatter to a minimum if
possible.   :-)

If there are some code based workarounds that didn't cruft up your
code too much, I'd be more than happy to test - I have the new
implementation on a branch and have a development environment I can
abuse for a little while.  I can also get away with upgrading the JVM
in that environment to see if that fixes the problem, but may not be
possible for me to get said JVM into production if my only choice is
the java6 early access build.  (Apparently the fixes are not yet in
jdk6u3).   I downloaded 1.6.0_10b08 (latest early access build) and
I'll see if I can reproduce the problem tomorrow.

Thanks!
-Andy