Binary protocol document as of 3:05AM at Yahoo's hackathon

Aaron Stone aaron at serendipity.cx
Fri Dec 14 20:44:59 UTC 2007

On Fri, Dec 14, 2007, Dustin Sallings <dustin at spy.net> said:

> On Dec 14, 2007, at 3:08, Aaron Stone wrote:
>
>> Attached is the most current documentation of the binary protocol
>> after
>> hammering through more details at the Yahoo! hosted hackathon today.
>>
>> I have not gone through the details about the semantics of the
>> command-specific extra values, except to copy forward text from the
>> version 1 document from the July hackathon hosted at facebook.
>>
>> Please review and post comments.
>

> 	Thanks very much for getting this started.  I filled in and corrected
> a bit in here.  There's still more than needs to be written, but the
> hard part seems to have been taken care of.

Thanks! I'll get your updates into the document this weekend. I also
converted the document to xml2rfc and began writing it in RFC style.

The document is checked in at:

http://code.sixapart.com/svn/memcached/branches/binary/server/doc/binary-protocol-plan-v2.xml

(is that the right branch?)

I'm working on better ascii art and coverage of all of the commands. My
goal is to produce a really easy to understand, fully described protocol
description document (and to make people 'fess up to design decisions,
good or bad, so that we can document the rationale and interesting use
cases ;-).

Aaron