What is a valid key?

Aaron Stone aaron at serendipity.cx
Thu Dec 20 19:34:33 UTC 2007

This is pretty verbose, but hopefully will cut way down on this FAQ:

  Keys are limited in length to 250 octets. Octets in the key MUST NOT
  have value 0x20 or less, nor value 0x7F (corresponding to ASCII space
  and all control characters below it, and ASCII del, respectively).
  Octets MAY have their 'high bits' set.

  Note: The UTF-8 character encoding produces output octets which meet
  these requirements. Please be aware that some characters may be
  represented as more than one octet. Refer to your language's string
  length functions to ensure that you are producing keys of 250 or fewer
  _octets_ and not simply 250 or fewer _characters_.

I forgot about that ascii 127 deal until I re-read 'man ascii' just now.
I assume we need to restrict that, too, so I put it in the text above.

Do you think this text still inadvertently suggests that we require UTF-8?

Aaron