Levels of Caching

Reinis Rozitis roze at roze.lv
Thu Feb 1 18:51:19 UTC 2007

It fully depends on your website.

For example if you run a site with userbase and where users log in (some
social network) - you cant really make a static cache because every page is
different for every user (rewriting cache on each pageview isnt really
usefull). In this case even the squids are useless and just one extra layer.
You can of course cache some parts / variables / datasets of the output
(where memcached comes in).

But in case of some newsportal (where all visitors get the same page) you
can even dynamically generate static htmls.

I would avoid NFS in this case. It will be a major slowdown (if your idea
was to distribute the same cache to each of the apaches).
Cache localy on squids or directly on webservers and it will be enough.
I would avoid also Smarty.. There are a lot more and better implementations
of transparent opcode/content caches for php - eaccelerator, APC, xcache,
ioncube and also the commercial Zend Platform/Core.

rr