Best practice: profile before adding memcached?

Steven Grimm sgrimm at facebook.com
Sun Feb 4 19:22:21 UTC 2007

It is best practice to profile before doing *any* performance
optimization, memcached-related or otherwise. In the case of memcached,
depending on how far you take it, profiling can tell you which objects
are most frequently constructed from raw data, how frequently they
change, which queries are actually costing you the most time, etc. With
that information in hand you can cache the stuff that'll give you the
biggest bang for your buck. Without that information you will likely
make your code faster, yes, but you will likely waste your time writing
caching code for stuff that isn't actually performance-critical in your
application.

I can't remember one time when I did detailed profiling and wasn't at
least a little surprised by the results. If you are having performance
problems it's almost always worthwhile.

-Steve