Use of memory card for caching?

Jason Edgecombe jason at rampaginggeek.com
Sat Feb 10 15:47:53 UTC 2007

howard chen wrote:
> One of the new features of Windows Vista is able to store useful data
> in memory card for speed up.
>
> As memory card is becoming very cheap, e.g. less than $50 US can buy a
> fast Toshiba 4GB SD card in my district.
>
> Anyone ever think of the possibility of using memcached on memory card?

Linux can mount a filesystem on a flash device. In that case, just use
the filesystem as a fast cache. Tugela cache can use the filesystem as a
cache and therefore could use the flash device as it's cache. there
would be no need to tweak memcache for that.

The filesystem would still do read/write caching in RAM. You might also
mount the flash device as a high-priority swap device and use tmpfs with
Tugela cache.

Sincerely,
Jason Edgecombe