Use of memory card for caching?

Ask Bjørn Hansen ask at develooper.com
Sat Feb 10 23:12:04 UTC 2007

On Feb 10, 2007, at 7:33 AM, howard chen wrote:

> As memory card is becoming very cheap, e.g. less than $50 US can buy a
> fast Toshiba 4GB SD card in my district.

I thought the main advantage was that reading from a flash cards
takes less battery in a laptop/ipod/phone/....  They aren't
particularly fast compared to a hard drive and still insanely slow
compared to real memory.

Also: Consumer flash cards have a very limited number of write cycles
before they burn out.  "Industrial" cards are much better, but at
least in low quantities they are quite expensive (relatively).

  - ask