Bottlenecks/Ways Not To Use Memcache

Paul Boyes paul at gridnetworks.com
Mon Feb 19 18:57:46 UTC 2007

Hello,

We are using memcache to cache a variety of data and are experiencing a
significant system load/slowdown after a few days of running.  When
memcached is stopped and restarted, the system load/slowdown goes away
only to build up again a few days later.  Currently memcache is be used
to hold some dynamic data as well as fairly static data.  My question
is, in general, what are the bottlenecks and where does memcached
performance start to break down?  Does significant blocking occur if you
have multiple connections/processes trying to access the same keys in
gets/sets?

Any info you can provide would be greatly appreciated.  If you need more
from me, please let me know.

Thanks,

Paul