Key Size

Brian Moon brianm at dealnews.com
Fri Jan 5 19:18:07 UTC 2007

Renato Silveira wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I´m using memcached as a URL keyword cache. The url is the key and the
> cached object is a string with relevant keywords of the site. Well, it´s
> working fine for my purpose. The only problem is the limit of key size
> to 250 bytes(because there can be url bigger than 250 bytes). Well, I
> tried to increase the value of the constant KEY_MAX_LENGTH to 2048
> bytes. I recompile memcached and it´s not working. Should I have to make
> any modification on the client API? Does anyone can helpme with this issue?
>
> tks!
>
> Renato

I suggest you use md5() or sha1() of the URI or both.  We use a
combination of the two to have a 64 character (nearly)unique key for URI
and SQL based cache.

psuedo (php):

$key =
md5($_SERVER["SERVER_NAME"]."/".$_SERVER["REQUEST_URI"])."_".sha1($_SERVER["SERVER_NAME"]."/".$_SERVER["REQUEST_URI"]);

--

Brian Moon