Handling failovers (rewrite)

Dustin Sallings dustin at spy.net
Wed Jul 4 08:31:25 UTC 2007

  I tend to only look at the source to my own java client.  :)

  It doesn't matter how many keys you have.  If you have more than one node, you don't know who's put what where.

  There is no partial flush operation.  A full flush would be bad and a quiescent cluster would be a collossal waste.

  The closest you could get to a partial flush would be to generate a key prefix that you use consistently for "foreign" keys and then have that key change upon every connect of the owner client.

  Effectively, in your up-down-up-down scenario for a given key, the actual storage key would be different on the second lookup.

  The identifier would need to be consistent across all clients, so you'd need to store it in memcached as well.

  It's only a matter of assigning value to such a scenario.  I'm guessing it doesn't cause a lot of issues in many deployed apps.  Perhaps those with larger clusters could point out whether there's value in such a thing.

--
Dustin mobile.