Article

Antonello Provenzano antonello at deveel.com
Wed Jul 11 06:36:24 UTC 2007

Jure,

> yesterday I finally graduated from the university :)

Many and sincere compliments!

> P.P.S: Would you prefer job at the university or in the industry?

When I had to choose between a PhD (well, in Italy it is something a
little different) at my university and the private sector, I went for
the second one.
Naturally, putting in your CV an experience of 3 years (minimum) of
PhD is something that will make you gain 35% to 45% in the average
remuneration, but for the years you will have to practice your PhD you
will get very low wage (at least, this is in Italy: 500€/month is the
maximum you can hope to get). To get back all the money you will loose
during that period, you will have to wait 5 years: generally you have
to have some other income to afford a PhD.

On the other side, you will be able, in most of the cases, to work on
more interesting things rater than in corporates, and in the time it
will give you an advantage over other candidates when applying for a
job. Anyway, this is not always true: everything depends on the
institute or university you will get your PhD at. Being PhD at
Stanford, Harvard, MIT or some of the Ivy League you won't never have
nothing better, but in some cases a PhD at an average level university
won't give you many advantages.

This is my 2cents: I don't pretend it's the right view, but it's my point... :)

Congratulations again.
Antonello