Hackathon notes (non-binary protocol thread), (BUSTARRET, Jean-francois)

Dustin Sallings dustin at spy.net
Wed Jul 18 08:20:56 UTC 2007

On Jul 18, 2007, at 0:50, Jan Miczaika wrote:

> Regex deletes on the keys may be used to delete interconnected
> groups of keys, but I think it is not very efficient. Lets assume
> we have two sets of data for a DVD: details and actors. The title
> of a DVD changes, I want to update all relevant data and not have
> stale titles on the plattform. To delete all connections with one
> DVD I would have to:
> - delete the key for details (probably dvd_1234_details) - easy
> - delete the keys for all related actors - this is harder. encode
> all dvd_ids in the actor keys? Iterate the actors and run a regex
> for each one?
> Point 2 multiplies for each loosely related keys. The direct ones
> are easy to hit, the others not so.

	I think this makes sense, but it seems like you're shifting the
problem over to tagging.  Now you have to tag James Hong with every
role he's been involved in in case the DVD availability of one of
them changes.  That seems like it would be just a different expensive.

	It seems like you could do the same thing just as easily in your app
at that point.  e.g. if I'm invalidating a movie, I probably have an
actor list and can just asynchronously fire off concurrent deletions
to all the related actors and stuff (or better, just asynchronously
send updated information).

--
Dustin Sallings