Delete Objects based on REGEX.

Antonello Provenzano antonello at deveel.com
Thu Jul 26 09:35:31 UTC 2007

Steven,

> I actually implemented regex deletes quite some time back. But the
> problem is that I did it in a brute-force way, nothing elegant or
> efficient, and if you have a large cache the whole thing will freeze up
> for many seconds, chewing 100% of your CPU while the code walks through
> all the items comparing them against the regex. We wanted it for very
> occasional administrative operations where the cache freezing up for a
> short while would be less disruptive than a full flush, but I think
> we've used it maybe two or three times at most because it's so nasty.

That's what I was trying to say. I created a project for Mono project
(named Deveel Regex) for the compilation and execution of RegEx
expressions on strings and I know what I'm speaking about: although
Deveel Regex is quite fast (faster than the built in solution in
Microsoft .NET and Mono), the parsing, compilation and execution of a
RegEx is a quite stressing process, specially if repeated thousands of
times per second.

Maybe the amount of memory and CPU used by Perl is much smaller than
Mono or .NET (which are behind a virtual machine as Java), since I've
never worked with it I have no benchmarks for this, I still believe
that RegEx in this kind of context could be a killing feature that
would stress the machine memcached would run on and cause problems in
long terms.

Antonello