Cache miss stampedes

Dustin Sallings dustin at spy.net
Fri Jul 27 19:25:12 UTC 2007

On Jul 27, 2007, at 11:36 , Brad Fitzpatrick wrote:

> On a cache miss, instead of going to the database directly, issue a
> Gearman request with a "uniq" property, then the Gearman server will
> combine all the duplicate requests and only dispatch one worker.  The
> worker than puts it in the cache before returning to the Gearman
> router
> (gearmand), and then gearmand multiplexes the result back to all
> waiting
> callers.

	Gearman looks interesting.  I sort of read this as a distributed
lock server until looking at the description more (note:  gearmand
link doesn't work from http://www.danga.com/gearman/)

	A distributed lock server would actually solve the problem fairly
well, though.  It'd be easy enough to use memcached as a distributed
advisory lock server, but to do it without polling, it'd need to block.

	That subscription thing is sounding more interesting...

--
Dustin Sallings