problems building memcache-2.1.2 php extension

Shawn Shyh shawn at mbuzzy.com
Fri Jun 8 23:03:10 UTC 2007

Hey,

I'm trying to build the memcache client extension (2.1.2) for php on linux.

I downloaded the zip myself and ran phpize, but got the following error:

configure.in:65: error: possibly undefined macro: AC_PROG_LIBTOOL
      See the Autoconf documentation.

AutoConf and automake are completely foreign entities to me.

Can anyone help?

BTW I also tried an alternate approproach -- using PEAR to download,
build and install memcache.

When I run pear install memcache it fails with this:

No handlers for package.xml version 2.0

I looked on the web and realized that support for package.xml version
2.0 requires PEAR 1.6.
I actually am running that version so I'm not sure why it doesn't
recognize the the package.

-Shawn

-Shawn