Bug in latest Perl Cache::Memcached module (1.21)

Rhesa Rozendaal perl at rhesa.com
Thu Jun 7 11:06:52 UTC 2007

Boguk Maxim wrote:
> Somehow first mail didnt get to maillist. So second attempt:

[Same goes for me: I replied yesterday, but haven't seen my mail show up. I
apologise if you receive duplicates.]

> After update Perl memcached API to latest version i got some troubles
> with disconnects to memcached server:
>

> Both of these function trying clean $sock_map{\$sock} !
>
> So... Connect code set $sock_map{$sock} and cleanup code trying clean
> $sock_map{\$sock}   !?
>
> And of course dead sock never cleaning at all and API try use dead sock
> again and again.... (because bad socket permanently cached in %sock_map)
>
> This is really painful issue leading instability of projects.

Yes, I came to the same conclusion when adopting memcached. See my bug report
in the CPAN RT system[1]. The fix indeed is to remove the backslashes.

By the way, I'm still suffering from the occasional segfault in long-running
programs, when one memcached instance goes offline. Must be something in the
socket handling, but I haven't had time yet to investigate.

Rhesa

[1] http://rt.cpan.org/Public/Bug/Display.html?id=27181