Next Major Memcached release / roadmap?

Steve Grimm sgrimm at facebook.com
Sat Jun 16 19:14:25 UTC 2007

I don't like making it a runtime option. A compile-time option, I could
maybe live with. But I don't want to have to install BDB headers and
libraries just to build memcached when I have no interest in BDB support,
which is presumably what runtime switchability would imply.

Also, dynamically selecting a backend at runtime seems to me to imply at
least a little performance hit, given that the backend storage isn't
particularly abstracted out at this point. Maybe not a huge enough hit to be
statistically significant, in which case fine. But I don't want to make my
memcached instances run slower for the sake of a feature I'm not using.

I suspect, however, that making a BDB backend work really well would require
a more radical restructuring of memcached, e.g., to allow the communication
with the persistent storage to take place in another thread such that it
wouldn't block requests for data that are in a local write-through cache. Or
would you just let the BDB libraries handle all that? I don't know if they
have options for "return this data if you have it in memory already,
otherwise return rather than blocking for disk I/O." Under no circumstances,
it seems to me, do you want to force clients whose requests can be serviced
from RAM to wait around for some other request to be serviced from disk.

-Steve