Is myspace using memcache?

a. a at enyim.com
Thu Jun 21 01:47:56 UTC 2007

Hi,

I'm running and developing freeblog.hu which is Hungary's largest
blog hosting service. (~50k blogs, ~20k updates frequently). It's
developed in ASP.NET 2.0.

It has a templating system similar to MovableType but all content is
generated on-the-fly when requested (like in WordPress).

The whole sytem is running on a 2.0Ghz Xeon, 3Gb RAM + a separated DB
server. Memcached is running on a spare webserver and it has 1Gb RAM
allocated.

We have ~180-250 page impressions a day, but these are only the
content pages. So compared to "international" sites it's not so much,
but even here memcached can help a lot.

These hits put a moderate load onto my db server (but it's mitigated
by an in-memory entity cache), but  interpreting the templates and
generating the pages took up a lot of CPU time.

So, i started to cache
  - the compiled templates
  - all of the content (with a 10-30-300 min timeout depending on the
content type)

All of these are stored in memcached, and I'm pretty impressed with
it. Before switching to memcached I used the file system for caching
the stuff, and the rough testing show ~200% percent improvement in
throughput (and ~800-900% compared to the "non-caching" version).
PLease note, these numbers are not "official" and very application
specific; when I have some free time I'll create some benchmarks, and
will post it.

I have to mention that I wrote a client for myself because I did not
like the currently available .NET version. I found it unnecessarily
complicated and parts of it show that it' was not developed for .net
but just ported from Java. (I can release it after I cleaned up the
code a little bit, and if there is demand.)

Just to sum up: I like memcached very much ;], and it helps a lot.

If you have specific questions, feel free to ask.

a.